Saturday, February 11, 2012

One of those days...

Today was going to be one of those days. I knew it when we got up this morning. Some days are pretty normal and some days are not. Today was not, or was, depending on how you define normal. Today also confirmed some suspicions I've had about my youngest child. It started out with me asking him to get ready for the day. I told him he needed to get his pants on. He searched in his room and couldn't find any, but I was able to dig out a pair in the basket of clothes that still needs to be folded. I handed them to him, and he stuck out his leg and draped them across it. Technically they were "on" him, and these are the antics that are starting to convince me that I have one of those "Spirited", "difficult", highly intelligent children. I asked him if today was going to be a good day or a bad day and he said "good!", giggled, and proceeded to get dressed. A minor meltdown occurred when he couldn't get the pants snapped, but that was soon taken care of.

Our day proceeded with me going to work, and the kids getting to go to Grandma's house after school, which is a highlight of their week. After work, as we were getting dinner ready, Grandma brought the boys over with a warning that they had each had a pudding cup. Eh, no big deal I thought, they usually handle pudding pretty well. As the evening progressed though, I became more and more convinced that my youngest had something a bit stronger than sugar. His activity level reminded me of a busy, busy little bee. This energy is different from his older brother, who will absentmindedly spin five or six times before moving onto something else. The youngest however was flitting from this room to that, from this activity to that, trying to hold still on a chair and shaking his head from side to side with such speed. One of the privileges the children have is that on the weekend as long as chores are done and the school week has gone well, they get to play computer games. He patiently waited his turn, but no sooner had he logged in and began his game, than he was distracted by a lego that my husband was holding.

He launched himself at and onto people, tried to start a fist fight with his stepfather and his uncle, and his brothers. In an effort to distract and perhaps calm, I asked if he wanted to do an activity out of his preschool/K phonics book. That got his attention and he chose the page he wanted to do, and then calmly finished it, after receiving instructions from and suggestions that he get the crayon box. After he was finished and we were winding down for the night, we asked him to put the crayon box away. He tripped while carrying it and crayons went flying everywhere. This started to spark a meltdown on his part about having to pick them all up. However, with some encouragement and the reminder that he is capable of this, he was able to get them picked up. It was one of those days.

I've long given up on having him on any sort of schedule, as far as sleeping, eating, etc. His energy levels sometimes seem astronomical. Once in awhile, I'll send him to bed, and then hours later, after I've gotten up in the middle of the night for any number of reasons, I'll find him wide awake sitting in his room, playing intently with his Legos. He can play for hours with those Legos, he has always been good at self entertainment.

He is a highly active, highly perceptive, highly sensitive child. I went to observe his classroom the other day, and what I noticed about him, is that he notices everything. Every movement is a distraction, he is so wrapped up in what is going on around him, that he doesn't seem to have time to do what is required of him.

He has always been an extremely independent child and I knew he would be a challenge when, at the age of one, having learned to walk, I turned my back on him to complete a chore, and he was across the street, playing in the neighbors garden. He will make his mind up about something, and that's it. He is an absolute delight on those good days, when the little things don't get to him. He can tell you all sorts of stories. He's funny and charming. He can talk your ear off if you let him. On the other days however, watch out, any little thing will spark a melt down. He also loves to push people's buttons, and once he figures out how to get someone riled up, he'll do it, just for kicks.

1 comment:

le35 said...

So, have you filled out the paper work for ADHD??? Ask your pediatrician for the list of questions. It would be nice to know if it is in fact the case. Anyway, you're amazing. I hope you know that.