Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Week

Merry Christmas. I'm not going to worry about being politically correct, this is my blog and I celebrate Christmas, so its Merry Christmas, and feel free to leave your own holiday greeting in the comments. I think all should be embraced and not shunned. Its a celebration of the gift of giving.

My kids are going to their dad's for Christmas this year. Its going to be weird not to have a Christmas with them but we opened some presents tonight. They got a lot of Crayola coloring things. A glow station, a color wonder sprayer, and a glow board. It looks like it will be a lot of fun, but most of the things need batteries.

I ordered their big present today. They'll get it when they get back. I got them bunk beds. Right now they are still sleeping in toddler beds, and my oldest is definitely growing out of his. So when they get back they'll have new beds. I think it will be really good for them.

Its snowing again today. On top of the 10 inches or so that we got last week. We're supposed to get another nine inches tonight. I really don't like the snow. I mean its pretty and all, but its cold, and it keeps me from doing things I need to do. I hate being trapped in my house. I don't always go anywhere anyway, but I hate feeling like I can't. I suppose its a contradiction of sorts. If I had my way, I'd stay home, locked up, reading all the time, but that doesn't pay the bills. I wish it did. But the fact that the snow is getting to where I can't go anywhere gets on my nerves. I also hate the cold and especially the fact that I've been home for 4 hours, have socks on, had soup for dinner, and have the heater on, my toes are still cold.

This is a good reminder of why a somewhat adequate food storage is a good idea. I'd panic about not being able to get to the store if I didn't have about a week's worth of food, possibly more stored up. It also makes me think of things I'd like to keep on hand for these situations. Lots of hot chocolate, soups, broths, flours and ingredients to make bread. Potatoes, things that are quick and filling.

But this time of year also reminds me of why I love living where I do. There are some very generous people in this community. This year I've gotten a $50 gift card to the grocery store, $100 and gifts for the boys, $20 and a pair of gloves and a box of oranges. These were all given anonymously, and I appreciate it every year. The first year was overwhelmingly, but as I've gotten on my feet its been just enough to help out. I'll post the blog entry I had written about that year after I post this one.

1 comment:

le35 said...

Since I'm not there to give you a great big hug, I am giving you one online. It's not the same. However, Merry Christmas to you! I'm so glad that you're so blessed by the wonderful people there. They're wonderful.