Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Reading

I love to read. Give me a book and I'll devour it. I'd rather read a book than watch a movie. Its been awhile since I've actually been able to read, to lose myself in a story so much that I have to re-orient myself to the real world when I finish.

I've read quite a few books in the last couple months. All from very different genres. So if you're looking for a an idea of what to read, I'll describe a few...

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King~ not his usual creepy stuff. Kind of a cross between Lord of the Rings and a western. The first book, The Gunslinger, is very interesting and gripping. As the series progresses though, some of the creepy stuff creeps in (lol) I still need to read the last book, I've been putting it off because I really don't want the story to end.

The Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton~ This is real vampire fiction. Full of gore, violence, crime, werewolves, vampires, voodoo. Its a fun read though. There are 16 books in the series. So far. Another one is due out next year. This is a series for adult readers.

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer~ Not really a vampire series. Its a love story. Forbidden, because Edward is a vampire. Most girls will identify with Bella. She's awkward, clumsy, trips on flat surfaces, her skin is too pale, she's average. Edward is a part of a family of vampires that has sworn off killing humans, instead opting for animals. Not quite fulfilling. But they'd rather not be considered monsters. Its an entertaining read. This is a series for pre-teens to young adult readers but I know many older people have enjoyed it.

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKellip~ This is a fantasy/scifi series. Very much like The Lord of the Rings, but a bit lighter read. I'm just started the third book. Its great, very well written. I'm enjoying it. Each book has taken me just a few hours to read. Preteen. Although some of the made up languages can be hard to follow.

The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern abridged by William Goldman~ If you loved the movie, you'll love the book. One of my favorites. Anyone would enjoy this I think.

Beauty by Robin Mckinley~ I love this book. Its a retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast. I've read this book at least ten times a year since I was 12. I have the first couple pages memorized. I love the imagery. Its an old friend. I think anyone would enjoy this as well.

I think thats all I read in the last few months.

1 comment:

le35 said...

I second The Princess Bride. If anyone feels the need for a good laugh, this book is the one!