Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Things Change

I'm living in the town I grew up in for the most part. Its a quiet, small town. Population 1800. I've felt comfortable in this safe town. But on Halloween I realized that it isn't as safe as it used to be. I had walked across the park to Woody's get something to drink. I was with a couple friends and on the walk back, a bunch of kids came running out of the trees towards us. Once they realized that there was a guy in our group they backed off. But since then I've been weary of walking across the park at night. In high school I wouldn't have thought twice. In fact many times, around midnight, I'd walk up to Woody's to get a soda and a snack. This saddens me. I know things could be worse but not feeling safe to walk the block to the convenience store in this town is not right.

It snowed tonight. Just an inch enough to cover everything in white. I'm not fond of snow or cold. But its beautiful. As long as I can stay in, where its warm and cuddle up with a mug of hot cocoa and a good book. I love Christmas though. I've started putting up decorations. I don't have a tree yet, a friend of mine is bringing me one sometime. I put some lights up though, and decorated the shelves with little figurines and a few nativities. Its starting to look very festive. I started watching Christmas movies. I watched Bridget Jones's Diary last night. Watched some of The Polar Express earlier and now I'm watching Elf. I'll probably put While you Were Sleeping in after Elf is over. And I'll have to watch Serendipity sometime as well.

1 comment:

le35 said...

I didn't know that some kids came running at you on Halloween. Did you report it? You live in one of the safest towns ever, but not if the teens don't say in line.