Monday, October 20, 2008

The frailty of life

I recently posted about loving the smell of death. I was talking about smelling dead leaves as they crunched under my feet. My friend and fellow blogger, Crandall, had recently posted about death in a post.

I didn't think I'd have to post about another death. Even less a murder. This last weekend was my ex's weekend with the kids. Since it was also near their birthdays they were going to stay on an extended weekend, and come home on Monday. Sunday morning I awoke to a text saying that my ex's brother had been shot and killed. The kids were dropped off Sunday afternoon.

I hadn't seen him in over two years. Its quite strange to think he's gone. He left behind a wife and child. He was a good man, active in his church, a hard worker. He was a Corrections Officer. He loved his job. He loved his family, and he loved his life.

I know he's in a better place, and that life goes on. And when the anniversary of his death comes around, we'll celebrate his life.

Death touches all of us eventually. None of us can escape it. "Life is the greatest teacher, unfortunately the final is a killer" I can't remember who said that but its true.

Just remember to live!

No comments: