Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bradley Jay Gerrard

I first met Brad when he got off his mission to Mongolia. He was such a fun loving guy. We didn't talk much until he met Susie, and he'd call me for advice. I thought it was so sweet how much he cared about her. I remember talking to him on the phone about her, and about cats.

When Brad and Susie got married, it was so perfect. They were so happy. Whenever we'd bring our kids to visit them, they always had so much fun. My kids thought of him as "fun uncle Brad". We were so excited when they moved to be closer to us. We'd take turns having Sunday dinner at each others houses. It was a fun tradition and when they moved to be even closer, it was fun spending time with them every day.

I remember the kids climbing on his shoulder as he ran through the house. Everyone laughing. I remember how willing Brad and Susie were to help anyone in need. They saw something that needed to be done and they did it. When I was pregnant with my third child, they were always helping me out in some small way. Watching my other kids so I could rest, helping with housework when I got overwhelmed, or just hanging out with me.

They were kind neighbors, a young girl moved in next door to them and they helped her move in. When they realized that she was lacking some household items like dishes and utensils they went through their things and asked if I had any extra, so that she would have something. Brad had a heart of gold and would give the shirt off his back to help someone in need.

When I heard of his death I was heartbroken. He's a good man that will be missed. He loved his job at the prison, he was the kind of guard that showed respect to everyone, and in turn was respected by everyone.

I was so happy for them when they were finally able to adopt a child. I knew they would be wonderful parents and it was hard watching them go through the heartache of not being able to conceive. He was wonderful with my children and I knew when given the opportunity he would be an amazing father. My heartaches for his young son, and the unborn child he's left behind. I hope with all my heart that those children will know what an amazing man their father was.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Thank you for the nice words about Brad. I am sorry I did not read them earlier.

Just tonight I was remembering that you asked me to look this up and I didn't. I wanted to and I have been meaning to. Life has been so unbearable and I am glad I had the chance to read your words now.