Friday, October 17, 2008

Scary isn't it?

Caring.

Yeah, I guess it is. Frightening in fact. Although not as frightening as having someone care about you. The responsibility goes up, you now have to care for yourself as well. Because if someone else thinks you are worthy of care, you damn better too.

I'm sure there are many out there who care, just as I care about many. But they do it subtly and not so obviously. So I go through life blissfully unaware. Then someone breezes through my life, and in a very obvious way points out that I'm worthy of the care of another human. So, now what? I can feel my heart opening, and its painful.

What gets me is the sincerity in those three little words... 'Are you ok?' Something a good many people have asked, yet not a lot have meant. More a passing courtesy, like saying 'hi' when greeting someone, commenting on the weather, things of that nature. But to have someone actually ask 'Are you ok?' with genuine concern. I think that phrase will forever mean more to me than what it once did.

No comments: